Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Superior password management using LastPass

Several months ago (around October 2010) I ran across a software product called LastPass that helps you manage passwords for all of the various web sites where you have an account (bank sites, health care, online newspapers, anything).  I've been using LastPass as my primary password management system for a couple of months now and it is FANTASTIC.  I've completely switched over to using it for 100% of my passwords on all of my machines.

In a nutshell, LastPass removes the true barrier to people using secure, hard-to-guess passwords: EASE OF USE.

You can read about all the features on their web site, but here are some of the highlights that make LastPass, in my opinion, the best password management system available.  I highly recommend that you think about switching over to using it as soon as possible.

  • It's free for basic functionality.  Only $12 per year to use it on your mobile phone.
  • You keep ONE master password to get access to all of your other passwords.  Only one password to remember.  You can make that one password hard to guess, but easy for you to remember.
  • Your passwords are maintained on LastPass servers and synchronized among any and all computers (or other devices) you use.
  • Your data is strongly encrypted on your PC before it is uploaded to LastPass, making it extremely secure.  LastPass does NOT have access to your stored passwords.  Nobody can access your data without your master password.
  • LastPass fully integrates with all the major browsers (IE, Firefox, Safari, Chrome, Opera) on Mac and Windows, as well as iPhone, Android and Blackberry.  After the encryption and security features, the browser integration is probably the single best feature of LastPass.
  • When you visit a web site's login page, LastPass automatically fills in your username and password.  You don't have to remember your password for ANY web site anymore -- just your Master Password.
  • Because you don't have to REMEMBER every password, you can create a different password for every web site you use.  If one web site become compromised, which happens far more frequently than we all would like, your other sites are safe because you don't share the same password across multiple sites.
  • LastPass is pretty simple to install and configure.
  • LastPass will import passwords from your current browser, if you've been using that method to store your passwords now (which is actually VERY insecure).  Once you get them into LastPass, you can slowly start changing them to be more secure.
  • LastPass will analyze your entire set of passwords and point out where your passwords are not ideal, identify sites that share the same password, and rate your overall password security.
Again, I can't recommend LastPass enough.  Check it out.  Let me know if you need help.

3 comments:

shauny said...

I ended up using keepass http://keepass.info/ (unfortunate spelling I know) as it was the only password keeper I could find which was open source, and runs on iPad, android, ubuntu, mac os x and windows. I save the data file to a dropbox, and then each device is always in sync.

Maybe I'm just a cheapskate :-)

Shaun
www.shaunyonshiny.com

Brian Biggs said...

I used KeePass as well, and still do for some non-web things. But the thing that was a pain is that it didn't integrate with the browser. Not cleanly, anyway.

I switched to LastPass because it integrates seamlessly with the browser. It works great with all my Windows browsers and my Droid X. Totally worth the $12 per year. I know they support Safari, MacOS and Linux (not sure what flavor or browser). Also not sure about the iPad thing.

You're not a cheapskate if you own a Mac and an iPad, dude! :-) Fork over the $12 (or whatever it is in your funny English money). Or at least try it out for free for a while.

Korg Legacy said...




LastPass Manager CrackI am very impressed with your post because this post is very beneficial for me and provide new knowledge to me